HMIS Indus (L 67 / U 67)
Sloop of the Grimsby class
|Navy||The Royal Indian Navy|
|Pennant||L 67 / U 67|
|Built by||Hawthorn Leslie & Co. (Hebburn-on-Tyne, U.K.)|
|Ordered||14 Aug 1933|
|Laid down||8 Dec 1933|
|Launched||24 Aug 1934|
|Commissioned||15 Mar 1935|
|Lost||6 Apr 1942|
|Loss position||20° 07'N, 92° 50'E|
HMIS Indus (Cdr. Jesser Evelyn Napier Coope, RIN) was bombed and sunk by Japanese aircraft off Akyab, Burma in position 20º07'N, 92º54'E.
Commands listed for HMIS Indus (L 67 / U 67)
Please note that we're still working on this section.
|1||Cdr. Eric George Guilding Hunt, RIN||24 Nov 1938||23 Sep 1941|
|2||A/Cdr. Jesser Evelyn Napier Coope, RIN||23 Sep 1941||6 Apr 1942|
You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.
Notable events involving Indus include:
28 Aug 1939
HMIS Indus (Cdr. E.G.G. Hunt, RIN) arrived at Bombay from Trincomalee. At Bombay she was taken in hand for docking and boiler cleaning. (1)
2 Sep 1939
HMIS Indus (Cdr. E.G.G. Hunt, RIN) departed Bombay for the Persian Gulf. (1)
3 Sep 1939
At 1815 hours (zone -4), HMS Liverpool (Capt. A.D. Read, RN), departed Masirah Island in the Arabian Sea for patrol in the Arabian Sea. This was to provide cover for the movements of warships from the Royal Indian Navy; HMS Hindustan (Cdr. G.V.G. Beamish, RIN), HMS Indus (Cdr. Cdr. E.G.G. Hunt, RIN) and HMS Clive (Cdr. H.P. Hughes-Hallet, RIN); as well as the depot ship HMS Lucia (Cdr. J.F.W. Mudford, RN) (2)
20 Jan 1940
HMIS Indus (Cdr. E.G.G. Hunt, RIN) arrived at Bombay for a short refit and engine repairs. (1)
7 Feb 1940
With her refit completed, HMIS Indus (Cdr. E.G.G. Hunt, RIN), departed Bombay for Aden where she was to join the Perim patrol. (1)
12 Feb 1940
HMIS Indus (Cdr. E.G.G. Hunt, RIN) arrived at Aden. (3)
16 Aug 1940
From 16 to 19 August 1940, Allied troops from Berbera, Italian Somaliland, were evacuated to Aden.
The troops were evacatuated by the transports Akbar (4043 GRT, built 1924), Laomedon (6491 GRT, built 1912), the hospital ship Vita (4691 GRT, built 1914) as well as the armed boarding vessels HMS Chakdina (Lt.Cdr. W.R. Hickey, RNR) and HMS Chantala (Lt.Cdr.(Retd.) C.E.I. Gibbs, RN).
Cover for the evacuation was provided by the light cruisers HMAS Hobart (Capt. H.L. Howden, RAN), HMS Caledon (Capt. C.P. Clarke, RN), HMS Ceres (Capt. E.G. Abbott, AM, RN), AA -cruiser HMS Carlisle (Capt. G.M.B. Langley, OBE, RN), destroyers HMS Kandahar (Cdr. W.G.A. Robson, RN), HMS Kimberley (Lt.Cdr. J.S.M. Richardson, RN), sloops HMS Auckland (Cdr. J.G. Hewitt, DSO, RN), HMS Shoreham (Cdr. G.P. Claridge, RN), HMAS Parramatta (Lt.Cdr. J.H. Walker, MVO, RAN), HMS Indus (Cdr. Cdr. E.G.G. Hunt, RIN), HMIS Hindustan (Cdr. G.V.G. Beamish, RIN), minesweeper HMS Derby (Lt.Cdr. F.C.V. Brightman, RN) and the netlayer HMS Protector (Capt. W.Y la L. Beverley, RN).
On 17 August, HMS Ceres bombarded Italian Army targets which temporarily halted the Italian advance.
On 18 August, HMS Caledon and HMS Kandahar bombarded enemy units on the Bulhar-Berbera road.
The evacuation was completed on the 18th. Over 7000 men had been evacuated.
The last men were taken off by HMAS Hobart which Berbera early on the 19th for Aden with the last of the Army personnel and the demolition parties which had demolished the harbour facilities. HMS Indus proceeded along the coast to pick up stragglers. (4)
1 Nov 1940
Convoy WS 4A.
This convoy departed Liverpool / the Clyde on 1 / 2 November 1940 for the far east.
The Liverpool section of the convoy departed Liverpool on 1 November and was made up of the following troopships / transports; Abosso (British, 11330 GRT, built 1935), Akaroa (British, 15130 GRT, built 1914), City of Manchester (British, 8917 GRT, built 1935), Duchess of Richmond (British, 22022 GRT, built 1928), Dunedin Star (British, 11168 GRT, built 1936), Malancha (British, 8124 GRT, built 1937), Scythia (British, 19761 GRT, built 1920) and Stirling Castle (British, 25550 GRT, built 1936).
From the Bristol Channel three ships joined this convoy, these were; Delius (British, 6065 GRT, built 1937), Martand (British, 7967 GRT, built 1925) and Port Wyndham (British, 11005 GRT, built 1937).
It was being escorted by the destroyers HMS Harvester (Lt.Cdr. M. Thornton, DSC, RN), HMS Hurricane (Lt.Cdr. H.C. Simms, RN) and ORP Garland (Lt.Cdr. K.F. Namiesniowski). This last destroyer had been escorting the three ships that came from the Bristol Channel.
The Clyde section of the convoy departed the Clyde on 2 November was made up of the following troopships / transports;
Almanzora (British, 15551 GRT, built 1914), Clan Chattan (British, 7262 GRT, built 1937), Clan Lamont (British, 7250 GRT, built 1935), Highland Monarch (British, 14139 GRT, built 1928) and Warwick Castle (British, 20107 GRT, built 1930).
They were escort by the heavy cruiser HMS Cornwall (Capt. C.F. Hammill, RN), AA cruiser HMS Cairo (Capt. P.V. McLaughlin, RN) and the destroyers HMCS Ottawa (Cdr. E.R. Mainguy, RCN), HMCS Saguenay (Cdr. G.R. Miles, RCN), HMCS Skeena (Lt.Cdr. J.C. Hibbard, RCN), HMS Hesperus (Lt.Cdr. D.G.F.W. MacIntyre, RN), HMS Beagle (Lt.Cdr. R.H. Wright, RN) and HMS Bulldog (Lt.Cdr. F.J.G. Hewitt, RN).
The convoy merged around 1000/2 in position 55°45'N, 07°21'W.
HMS Bulldog and ORP Garland left the convoy around 1200/3 in position 54°25'N, 14°39'W to go to the aid of the troopship Windsor Castle which had been damaged by German aircraft bombs in position 54°12'N, 13°18'W.
HMS Cairo left the convoy at 1830/3 in position 54°12'N, 16°13'W.
HMS Hesperus and HMS Hurricane left the convoy around 1900/3 to go to the aid of the torpedoed armed merchant cruiser HMS Laurentic.
HMS Beagle, HMCS Saguenay and HMCS Skeena parted company with the convoy at 0300/4 in position 52°30'N, 19°00'W.
HMCS Ottawa and HMS Harvester parted company with the convoy at 1600/4 in position 52°30'N, 22°25'W.
At 0310/5 the Duchess of Richmond parted company with the convoy in position 52°10'N, 26°05'E to proceed to her destination independently.
At 0630/9 the Akaroa parted company with the convoy in position 32°44'N, 22°58'W to proceed to Trinidad.
At 0855/11 the Almanzora, Abosso, City of Manchester, Darius, Malancha and Martland were detached ('slow' group) were detached in position 23°47'N, 22°15'W under the escort of the armed merchant cruiser HMS Pretoria Castle (Capt.(Retd.) E.J. Shelly, RN) which had just joined the convoy.
The 'fast' section of the convoy arrived at Freetown on 14 November escorted by HMS Cornwall.
The 'slow' section of the convoy arrived at Freetown on 15 November escorted by HMS Pretoria Castle.
The convoy, now made up of troopships / transports Almanzora, City of Manchester, Clan Chattan, Clan Lamont, Delius, Dunedin Star, Highland Monarch, Malancha, Martand, Port Wyndham, Scythia, Stirling Castle and Warwick Castle, departed Freetown for South Africa around 1630 hours on 17 November 1940.
They were escorted by HMS Cornwall and HMS Pretoria Castle.
At 0805 hours on 26 November the Scythia and Warwick Castle parted company with the convoy in position 22°55'S, 09°03'E to proceed to Capetown. They were escorted by HMS Pretoria Castle.
These ships arrived off Capetown on 29 October. The troopships both entered the harbour but Scythia only briefly to take on board water.
HMS Pretoria Castle rejoined to convoy around 1200 hours on 29 November. Scythia rejoined about 45 minutes later.
At 1500 hours on 2 December, while in position 32°15'S, 29°35'E, the Almanzora, City of Manchester, Delius, Malancha and Martand were left astern to enable to other ships to arrive at Durban early the next day. HMS Pretoria Castle remained with these five ships while HMS Cornwall went ahead with the others.
Pretoria Castle arrived with the five ships that had split off at Durban some hours after the others. The convoy then entered harbour while HMS Pretoria Castle set course for Capetown.
The convoy, now made up of troopships / transports City of Manchester, Clan Chattan, Clan Lamont, Delius, Dunedin Star, Highland Monarch, Malancha, Martand, Port Wyndham and Stirling Castle, departed Durban for Aden around 1030 hours on 5 December 1940.
There was one more ships in the convoy, this was the troopship Dunera (11162 GRT, built 1937) who had taken over the troops of the Scythia and took her place in the convoy.
Escort was once again HMS Cornwall but she was now with the armed merchant cruiser HMS Kanimbla (A/Capt. F.E. Getting, RAN).
In the morning of 18 December 1940 the convoy arrived near Aden and was transferred to the Red Sea escort. HMS Cornwall and HMS Kanimbla parted company with the convoy at 0925/18 in position 11°53'N, 45°08'E. The then proceeded to Aden where they arrived around 1300/18.
And the last ship to join, the destroyer HMS Kingston (Lt.Cdr. P. Somerville, DSO, RN) joined at 1023/18 in position 11°57'N, 44°56'E.
Two more troopships / transports joined the convoy at 1130/18 in position 12°02'N, 44°45'E. These were the City of Agra (British, 6361 GRT, built 1936) and Melbourne Star (British, 11076 GRT, built 1936).
HMS Carlisle parted company with the convoy at 1650/20 in position 20°33'N, 38°45'E.
HMIS Indus and HMAS Yarra parted company with the convoy at 1730/20 in position 20°42'N, 38°41'E.
At 1200/21, the Dunedin Star, Melbourne Star and Stirling Castle, escorted by HMS Kingston proceeded ahead. They arrived at Suez at 1500/22.
The remaineder of the convoy arrived at Suez at 0700/23 escorted by HMAS Hobart. (5)
4 Dec 1940
Convoy BS 10.
This convoy departed Suez on 4 December 1940 for the Gulf of Aden where it was dispersed on 11 December 1940.
The convoy was made up of the following merchant vessels; Alice Moller (British, 4986 GRT, built 1914), Arena (Norwegian (tanker), 6362 GRT, built 1927), British Endurance (British (tanker), 8406 GRT, built 1936), British Hope (British (tanker), 6951 GRT, built 1928), British Renown (British (tanker), 6997 GRT, built 1928), British Sailor (British (tanker), 5576 GRT, built 1918), City of Evansville (British, 6528 GRT, built 1922), City of Lille (British, 6588 GRT, built 1928), Clan MacArthur (British, 10528 GRT, built 1936), Imperial Star (British, 12427 GRT, built 1935), Ioannis P. Goulandris (Greek, 3750 GRT, built 1910), Katingo Hadjipatara (Greek, 3661 GRT, built 1913), Katy (Norwegian, 6825 GRT, built 1931), Khosrou (British, 4043 GRT, built 1924), Lancashire (British, 9557 GRT, built 1917), Marcella (British, 4592 GRT, built 1928), Margot (British, 4545 GRT, built 1926), Perthshire (British, 10496 GRT, built 1936), Rosalie Moller (British, 3963 GRT, built 1910), Roxane (British, 7813 GRT, built 1929), Speybank (British, 5154 GRT, built 1926) and Vacport (British, 6774 GRT (tanker), built 1930).
On 7 December 1940 five ships joined coming from Port Sudan. These were; Ayamonte (British, 845 GRT, built 1899), Elpis (Greek, 3651 GRT, built 1912), Helen Moller (British, 5259 GRT, built 1918), Takliwa (British, 7936 GRT, built 1924) and Wayfarer (British, 5068 GRT, built 1925).
They had left Port Sudan on the 6th.
On the 8th convoy escort was taken over by the light cruiser HMAS Hobart (Capt. H.L. Howden, RAN), destroyers HMS Kandahar (Cdr. W.G.A. Robson, RN), HMS Kimberley (Lt.Cdr. J.S.M. Richardson, RN) and sloops HMS Auckland (Cdr. J.G. Hewitt, DSO, RN) and HMS Indus (Cdr. Cdr. E.G.G. Hunt, RIN).
On the 9th AA cruiser HMS Carlisle (Capt. G.M.B. Langley, OBE, RN) joined.
The convoy was dispersed on the 11th.
- ADM 199/368
- ADM 53/109582
- ADM 199/2557
- ADM 199/383
- ADM 199/1136
ADM numbers indicate documents at the British National Archives at Kew, London.