Allied Warships

HMS Genista (K 200)

Corvette of the Flower class

NavyThe Royal Navy
PennantK 200 
Built byHarland & Wolff Ltd. (Belfast, Northern Ireland) 
Ordered8 Apr 1940 
Laid down15 Feb 1941 
Launched24 Jul 1941 
Commissioned8 Dec 1941 
End service 

Sold in 1947.
Became a weather ship.
Srapped in 1961.


Commands listed for HMS Genista (K 200)

Please note that we're still working on this section.

1Lt.Cdr. Robert Martin Pattinson, DSC, RNR18 Nov 1941early 1943
2T/Lt. Roger Leigh-Wood, RNVRearly 194325 Aug 1944
3Lt. Thomas George Radford, RNR25 Aug 1944mid 1945

You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Notable events involving Genista include:

19 Nov 1942
The British tanker Scottish Chief is torpedoed and sunk about 200 miles east-southeast of Durban, South Africa in position 30°39'S, 34°41'E by German U-boat U-177. HMS Jasmine (Lt.Cdr.(Retd.) C.D.B. Coventry, RNR) later picks up 5 survivors and HMS Genista (Lt.Cdr. R.M. Pattinson, DSC, RNR) later pick up 7 survivors.

11 Jan 1943
During 11 and 12 January 1943 HrMs O 21 (Lt.Cdr. J.F. van Dulm, RNN) conducts trials of Simonstown. She is escorted by HMS Genista (Lt.Cdr. R.M. Pattinson, DSC, RNR). (1)

10 Feb 1943
Around 1430 hours (zone -1), HMS P 614 (Lt. H.W. Wilkinson, RN), made rendez-vous with her escort towards Simonstown, the British corvette HMS Genista (Lt.Cdr. R.M. Pattinson, DSC, RNR).

27 Feb 1943
The Dutch submarine tender Colombia (Cdr. J.L.K. Hoeke) was en route from New London to Simonstown to dock, escorted by the British corvette HMS Genista (Lt.Cdr. R.M. Pattinson, DSC, RNR) and several RAF aircraft. At 11.41 hours on 27 February 1943 German U-boat U-516 fired a spread of three torpedoes from a distance of 1500 metres on a ship near Simonstown, which was identified as a passenger-cargo ship of the Blue Star Line of 10.000 tons. Four minutes later, one torpedo struck the Colombia at #2 hold, just before the bridge and a large column of water arose beside the ship, while the deck planks were thrown in all directions. All hands immediately abandoned ship, apparently without any casualties and the ship sank after ten minutes. A headcount showed that eight men were missing. Almost 60 survivors in one whaleboat were picked up by a RAF air-sea-rescue launch. The corvette initially launched a counter-attack, but she returned soon and picked up the remaining survivors.


  1. File (Dutch Archives, The Hague, Netherlands)

Return to the Allied Warships section